Recycling & Safe Disposal of Appliances in Macon County, IL
Microwaves are not locally accepted for recycling and may be placed in the household trash. Since microwaves are neither considered a white good nor are among the 17 electronic items banned from Illinois landfills, these units are not prohibited from being placed with waste destined for a landfill.
Large Appliances (White Goods)
Large appliances, including refrigerators, ranges, water heaters, freezers, air conditioners and other similar appliances are referred to as white goods. Since many of these appliances contain “white good components” such as refrigerants, mercury switches and poly-chlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), white goods are banned from Illinois landfills unless the white good components are first removed (Public Act 87-858).
Recycling and disposal options for appliances vary depending on type and whether the white good components have been properly recovered. Options include:
- Participate in the Ameren Illinois’ Refrigerator & Freezer Recycling Program. This program offers a $50 reward plus free pick-up and haul away for those that meet the participation requirements. For more information, call 844-379-0047.
- Take advantage of a retailer’s haul away service for discarded appliances when purchasing a new replacement appliance.
- Schedule a standalone pick-up from Best Buy for refrigerators, freezers, ice makers, ranges/stoves/ovens and hoods, dishwashers, washing machines and dryers. For more information, including fees, call 217-874-2418.
- Inquire with your waste hauler about bulk item pick-up. White good components, such as refrigerant and mercury, must first be recovered by an air conditioning/refrigeration technician prior to haul away.
- Drop off appliances at Mervis Recycling at 1180 N. 22nd St., Decatur, Illinois. White good components, such as refrigerant and mercury, must first be recovered by an air conditioning/refrigeration technician prior to drop-off. For more information, call 217-429-4148.
Fans & Vacuums
Fans and vacuums, except for steam cleaners and wet/dry vacuums, are accepted for recycling at:
1450 Koester Drive, Forsyth, Illinois